Saturday, April 4, 2015

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow: Cutting my Hair

Hello everyone! Today I'm going to be talking about the first topic in a three part article about hair: my decision to cut my hair. I'll be posting about my experience with hair dying and wigs over the next two weeks..

 So, late last year I found myself wearing wigs all the time outside of work. I was tired of managing my hair and wanted to change it. Unfortunately, my workplace doesn't allow unnatural hair colors, otherwise I'd have dyed the ends of my hair purple again or added some brightly colored highlights to my hair. Thinking I'd just been having some bad hair days, I decided to wait a while before making any decisions on what to do with my hair. However, after several months, I was still frustrated with my hair and decided to do something I'd never done: Get a bob cut. It took me months to finally go through with this because I've always had long hair and have dreampt of having super long hair like Rapunzel since I was a little girl. However, I'd never had short hair and was getting frustrated with the amount of time it was taking every morning to make my hair suitable for work. I decided to get my family and friend's opinions by posting a picture of me with my hair pinned up to look as short as I planned to cut my hair. I got a lot of positive remarks, other than my mom bemoaning my decision. So, I started looking into nearby salons, decided on one, called them, and made an appointment to have my hair cut. Before going in, I did some image searches looking for hairstyles similar to what I wanted on people with fine, curly hair like me. In addition to those pictures, I brought along pictures of Vanilla Mieux from Sugar Sugar Rune as well as a photo of the last time my hair was short: when I was four.

 I was a little nervous at the salon as I'd never been to a salon (Ima cheapskate and had my dad trim my hair) nor had I ever had such a dramatic change in hair length before. My stylist was very nice, taking the time to look through the reference pictures I'd brought before she got to work on my hair and making sure I was happy with where my style was going while she worked on it. The end result was a super cute, layered, poofy, bob cut that I was super happy with! After I got my hair cut, I got a LOT of compliments on it, both out and about and at work. Even now while I'm trying to grow it back out again, I don't regret cutting my hair in the slightest. If any of you are thinking of or know someone who is thinking of cutting their hair short after having it be long, I highly reccomend going to a salon and working with someone who takes time to make sure you get a style you like. It's well worth paying a bit more than to try and do it yourself and mess your hair up. (I say this after a rather failed attempt at cutting my own bangs and layering my hair. They didn't turn out well at all...)

Make sure to tune in next week for my hair dying experience!

Check me out on Twitter: @animlolicouture
I'm also on Facebook! facebook.com/CelesteChoCho

No comments:

Post a Comment