Saturday, April 25, 2015

Throwback... Saturday? Why I love the PS One

Hello everyone! Today I'm going to be talking about one of my favorite game systems: The PS One! I've enjoyed PS One games for a majority of my life, so I was thrilled when I found a store that sold PS Ones as well as other retro systems and games. Part of my excitement was that this meant I'd be able to recover all of my save files off of my dad's PS One instead of having to start all over on my favorite games, like Legend of Dragoon and Final Fantasy VII.

 So a lot of you are probably wondering why I love the PS One so much, especially since it's a very outdated system and has such blocky graphics. I'd say for sure a part of it is just nostalgia, but more than that, I honestly enjoy more of the older games made for this system than I do newer ones. Why is this? Well, before I get into the details, let me make a few comments on PS One gamplay in general. First of all: Graphics.

 PS One games have very crude graphics in comparison to current games, but this is almost completely due to technology. We didn't have the sort of processors, graphics cards, and such like back then and due to this, there were a lot of blocky shapes and somewhat rough graphics. Usually this doesn't affect gameplay since helpers like random ground or object sparkles, targetting systems, and in game tutorials usually would explain or point out that certain objects can be manipulated. However, one thing that I like the most about some of my favorite games (*cough* FFVII) is that they have varrying levels of graphics qualities. Normal gameplay is very blocky looking, but when you go into a battle (or "combat mode") the graphics become significantly better. Then there's the cutscenes. I'm still in awe over how good the cutscene graphics were in older games. Even going back and watching them nowadays, I'm still impressed.

 Now we get to controls. In a lot of the PS One games I've played there's usually some sort of tutorial or practice mode that explains how the controls for the game work and let you run around and get a feel for them. Usually the controls are explained a bit at a time with new abilities being worked into the gameplay after initial controls are learned and the player has time to practice them some. I like this a lot better than the gameplay tutorials in a lot of more modern games where a lot of times you just get thrown into the game without so much as a how do you move. While newer games do typically have some sort of tutorial at the beginning, often times the actions are poorly explained, or they expect you to have played the last twelve installments of the game and merely give you a quick refresher while throwing you into the game. An example of this is when I decided to try playing Assasin's Creed and couldn't even figure out what the heck was going on story wise much less control wise. The control intructions were little bubble-like things popping up in a most unobvious way and more often than not, I was running around like a fool having no idea what I was doing. Compare this to one of my newer PS One aquisitions: Legend of Kain: Soul Reaver. In Soul Reaver, you begin the game with a step by step tutorial, teaching you how to move, what each button does, and how to attack and heal as well as a few other things pertinent to gameplay. The tutorial taught one thing per room in a long tunnel environment and was easy to figure out as I went along. In addition to this, they introduced the character and story in bits and pieces as you went through the initial area.

 Now let's talk about cameras in PS One. Camera styles vary wildly in PS One games depending on gameplay style. In games like FFVII or Resident evil, the camera is static and allows you to view a room from only one angle. In games like Spyro or Soul Reaver, the camera usally follows you, but can still be adjusted if needed. And in some games, like Crash Bandicoot, the camera is at a set angle, but the world is more 2D in it's layout, much like Mario games of old, while still being a 3D environment. Then there's games like Gex and Harry Potter, the camera is annoying and refuses to show you what the heck is in front of you and instead decides that viewing the character is top priority. (Can you tell which games frustrate me? XD) Many games nowadays have automatic camera angles that follow your character from behind alowing you to see the environment around you as well as your character. This can have its frustrations though as you typically have to turn your character around in order to view the full environment, or oftentimes there is a secondary "looking" state you have to go in and out of to look around without moving your character. This can slow response times down a LOT and make gameplay frustrating at times when you can't look around an area while staying hidden unless there's room to move. This is also annoying for me when I'm trying to look around and suddenly get attacked, but am unable to fight back without having to punch a button to get out of the "looking" mode, slowing reaction time for counter attacking.

 While there are ups and downs to each generation of gaming system, I find that PS One games are in general better written than many of the newer games I've played. While buying a PS One might not be feasable or even possible for many, there are many emulators as well as downloadable copies of many more popular PS One games out there. If you haven't played a PS One game before, I would highly recommend giving one of the more popular games a try, be it FFVII, Tekken, Spyro, or some other game. Enjoy!

I have a fanpage now! (Maintained by yours truly): facebook.com/CelesteChoCho
Check me out on Twitter: @animlolicouture



No comments:

Post a Comment