Saturday, April 11, 2015

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow: My Hair Dying Experiences

Hello everyone! Today I'll be writing about the second of three hair related topics: My experience dying my hair. Make sure to check out last weeks post, where I talk about my decision to cut my hair.

So, what if you;re thinking of dying your hair instead of cutting it? I've dyed my hair a total of twice in my life and only partially both times. I'm overall happy with my blonde hair color, so I've never really felt the need to dye it completely. The first time I dyed my hair, it was just the tips using a temporary Manic Panic color that a friend had left over from dying the ends of her own hair. It resulted in a very pretty, bright purple that faded over the course of the next few days, and eventually came out after a week or two (it's been long enough I can't remember exactly). Dying my tips was kind of a spur of the moment decision as I'd been planning on cutting it a bit shorter in order to make it easier to maintain for a while, so I wasn't worried about it staining my hair or anything as it was just going to be cut off anyways. My decision process was pretty much along the lines of
Friend: "You want me to dye your ends too?"
Me:"Hey, Mom, Dad, can she dye my tips?"
Parents: "Ehhh, it's your hair."
Me: "Schweet! Yes, dye my tips purple!"
Not much contemplating there since purple's kinda my favorite color...

 My second time dying my hair, I was attempting to give myself copper red highlights (similar to dispersed ones I have naturally). I decided to do this while I was visiting home after playing Style Savvy and greatly enjoying the pretty red streaks I'd put in my character's hair. I quickly found out that it's a lot harder to do that sort of look in reality versus a game. I ended up buying a coppery red and a highlighting kit since I didn't know where to just get the highlighting cap and hook thingie seperate from bleach and stuff. Thinking it would result in highlighted chunks, I ended up pulling pretty much all of my hair through the little holes on the cap and ended up with strawberry blonde hair instead of the blonde with red highlights I was aiming for. If I ever do this again, I'll probably either  just use foil or something similarly non-pourus to seperate the strips of hair that I want to be dyed, or have a professional do it since previous attempts at hair styling and color have proven I have no idea what I'm doing.

 So what'll my next adventure in hair dying be, you ask? To be honest, I'm not sure. My current job requires me to have natural colored hair and I'd want to dye my hair purple, blue, or pink most likely, so it's probably not going to happen anytime soon since I'm planning on making a career out of this job. However, If I figure out a way to dye my natural hair and hide it under a natural looking wig that'll be acceptable at my workplace, I might just go all out and dye my hair crazy colors like Japanese Decora girl Kurebayashi! I wouldn't do the close shave that she tends to do though, since I wouldn't like that style on myself. It's taking long enough to grow my hair back from a bob!

Make sure to tune in next week as I talk about wigs!

Check me out on Twitter: @animlolicouture
I'm on Facebook too! facebook.com/CelesteChoCho

No comments:

Post a Comment